Friday, October 1, 2010

Apple-Berry Maple Crunch



I love fall. I love the fruits and vegetables of fall, like apples. I grew up in a very "orchard rich" area, and I remember going apple picking every year as a kid. Now I live in the city but still, in autumn, when apples are in season, I eat so many of them. They just taste so much better! And I always have tiny flashbacks of when I'd pick apples with my parents or with school trips...Now I don't go pick them myself, though...that's what farmer's markets are for..!!
Today I got a big bag of MacIntosh, one of my favorites. I love Lobos best but they are very juicy so not the best for baking...Macs are good for pretty much everything!

So with all those nice apples I had to bake something. I thought of a pie, or a cake...but I love crumbles and cobblers and things like that, so I looked through Ms. Philips' healthy baking book(which I'm slowly baking my way through, for real...it's awesome.), and found this amazing maple crunch. Apples, berries AND maple??? Yes please!!

You'll need:

5 big or 6 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced about 1/3 inch thick.
1 cup frozen or fresh berries (I used raspberries and blueberries).
1 cup unsweetened applesauce

1 1/2 cup quick oats
1/3 + 1 TBSP all-purpose flour
1/3 + 1 TBSP pure maple syrup
3 TBSP lemon juice
1 1/2 TBSP canola oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
Pinch of salt
1 TBSP sugar

-Turn on the oven at 350 and set the rack in the middle.
-Spray a 13x9 (or a 11x7 for thicker pieces) ovenproof glass dish with oil.
-Put the apples and berries in the dish, and spread the applesauce on top.



-In a medium bowl, mix all the other ingredients except for the sugar until well combined.
-Crumble the mixture over the apples, and sprinkle the sugar on top, along with a bit more cinnamon if you're like me and LOVE cinnamon...



-Bake until the apples are cooked and the top is golden brown,about 40-45 minutes

-Eat warm with some vanilla frozen yogurt!!



Oh, yummy apples how I love thee...

2 comments:

  1. I can hardly wait to make these things!!!!!! thanks for your comment and I'm Pscyhed to find this blog of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanx and enjoy the healthy baking!!

    ReplyDelete