Sunday, October 17, 2010

Chocolate-Walnut Pumpkin Bread



Yes, this is another pumpkin recipe...I told you that one can was pretty big, so I gotta use it!
So. Today after a little shopping and chores around the house I decided to bake a "pumpkin something". I remembered seeing this recipe in the Holiday edition of the magazine "Taste of Home". It comes from a woman in Florida...I actually changed the recipe a bit, "tweaked" it so to speak. I thought it would be nice to have something different with pumpkin, something other than the traditional cloves/nutmeg/ginger flavors. So I thought of chocolate, and looked though my spice cabinet (that needs to be sorted out, seriously. It's a mess in there...), and Ta-da! Inspired! Cardamom! Beautiful spice. So fragrant and powerful! Try it you'll see. I know I will definetly use it more often from now on!
Anyway, about this cake...It's not a "healthy oven" recipe, so it has quite a bit of sugar and oil. But moderate indulgence is okay, right?

Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup coco powder, sifted
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp ground cardamom

Wet ingredients:

1 1/3 cup sugar
7.5 ounces pumpkin puree
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extrac

1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Turn the oven on at 350F and set the rack in the middle.
Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with vegetable oil.
In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
In another medium bowl, beat the wet ingredients until well blended.
Transfer the dry in the wet and gradually mix it until well blended.
Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
Pour in the pan and smooth the top.
Bake for 60-70 minutes(mine took more like 70 minutes, but check after 60 just in case...overbaking=dry cake...). When it's done a knife will come out clean when inserted in the middle.

Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes and transfer to a wire rack and let cool.



Slice and enjoy!



You can barely taste the pumpkin in this. It's all chocolate! And that cardamom, well...it's CRAZY good.

I have a feeling this will disapeer in no time...

No comments:

Post a Comment