Saturday, September 11, 2010

Simply Grilled Trout Filet

Trout has got to be my favorite fish, ever. I love salmon and cod too but when I go to the fish store and find nice fresh pink trout, I gotta have it! I always get filets, which are really easy to bake, grill or fry, but eventually I will give a go at baking whole trouts, the little ones you can stuff and cook in the oven. Seems easy enough... But that's another post...
Yesterday afternoon I stopped by that fish place I always go to at the Atwater market and picked up some trout filets, and had a nice little grilling session. I've always been a bit scared of putting fish on the grill, always thinking it would stick and make a big mess...it actually happened once last year I put a big salmon steak on, without oiling it first...big mistake. Anyway now I know as long as you oil the grill and the fish there won't be any problems! Thank you Food Network!!
So, with this fish it was pretty simple:

1-Get some nice trout filets, rince them and pat dry.

2-Marinade it a bit, 30 minutes is plenty long:

*On a plate, squeeze over the fish half a lemon, pour a BIG glug of olive oil and season with salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, parsley and a bit of cayenne. Rub it all over and flip the filets, so they're skin side up, cover with plastic wrap and let them chill in the fridge for about 30-45 minutes.

3-Get the grill started on med-high heat, and take the fish out of the fridge.

4-Once the grill is hot, oil it gently with a towel(carefull not to drop any on the flames...ouch...), then place the fish SKIN SIDE UP first. After 3-4 minutes flip it and let it cook for another 5 minutes, more or less depending on the thickness of your filets, and how cooked you like it. I'm not the biggest fan of raw fish so I always cook it through but if you like it a bit raw inside by all means...!

You will be able to tell when it's done by sticking a fork in it gently in the thickest part, if it flakes easily it's done!



All that's left here is a nice squeeze of lemon(once it's off the grill of course! by this time the fish is done, it's on the plate ready to eat!).

And don't forget the Sauvignon Blanc!!

I love grilling fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment