Saturday, March 27, 2010

Hot Curry-Ginger Lentil and Vegetable Soup.



Today I was gonna post up a really nice quick-bread recipe I found online. I "baked" it this afternoon, made it according to the instructions, I'm absoluetly POSITIVE I didn't forget anything, but it didn't work out. It was still raw on the inside. I was able to salvage a little bit of it, and it tastes great but it's in crumbles. Oh, well. These things happen...
So, I had to find something for diner that would be quick enough to make before daylight disapears(all the pics all naturally lighted, at night it just doesn't work as well). And...since I'm the soup master, and I have plenty of options in the fridge for soup, soup it is. Plus, I feel I have a bit of a cold coming so I wanted something soothing, spicy and gingery. And spicy it was! I put a little too much chili flakes in it...oups...

So here it is:
*and also, like any cooking "recipes" on this site, these ingredients are not set in stone, if there's something you don't like don't use it. if you want to add something, go for it! it's all about freestylin' ya know?!


1 big onion
1 branch celeri
1 big or 2 medium carrots
2 cloves garlic
1 zucchini
6-7 button mushrooms
1 piece fresh ginger the size of a golfball, cut in 2
1 big potato
1/3-1/2 cup lentils(i used brown lentils)
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
salt, pepper to taste
about 1tsp each of: curry powder, ground cumin, tumeric, paprika, chili flakes
1 TBSP brown sugar
1 TBSP oil(i used grapeseed)



-Cut all the veggies, sautee the onion first in oil, 1-2 minutes. Add carrots, celeri, garlic and ginger, salt and pepper, heat for 2 minutes.
-Add zucchinis, mushrooms, potato, lentils and all the spices. Sautee for a bit...
-Add the stock and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer until cooked.
-Puree 1/3 of it in a blender, return to pot.
-Bon Appetit!

Now, I always eat my soup with crackers and margarine. It's a habit. I think it goes back to my childhood, the traditional saturday vegetable "Minestrone" soup eaten with saltines. And I just really like crackers. I'm gonna learn how to make them for a later post...

No comments:

Post a Comment